I love holiday music.
I love it so much that I sometimes play it in the middle of the summer.
I wish I could play it year-round, but I get scolded if I play it between January 2 and Thanksgiving.
So, between January 2 and Thanksgiving, I wait patiently. (Er, kind of. “Patiently”.)
On Thanksgiving day, I listen to nothing but holiday music and I do not listen to any other kind of music until January 2. I take all my other music off my iPod. I never change the radio station off my holiday music station in the car. I only play the holiday music station on Pandora. I kind of go into withdrawal if I don’t hear it. I will walk out of a store that plays anything else.
All holiday music. All the time.
The artists that I would never dare to skip over while listening to Christmas music, because they always sing wonderful versions of my favorites, are (in no order):
- Bing Crosby
- Frank Sinatra
- Burl Ives
- Nat King Cole
- Ella Fitzgerald
- *Celine Dion
- *Michael Bublé
- *Josh Groban
- †Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
- †Trans-Siberian Orchestra
- †Mannheim Steamroller
*Newer versions done right.
†Not vocal artists
I recommend getting any of their Christmas albums, they’re great.
I have compiled 5 playlists of my favorite holiday music (in no particular order) to share with you all. This is not an exhaustive list, by any means. NEXT YEAR, I will be choosing the versions of songs that I hear in my head when I think of the song, but multiple people do covers of these great classics and almost all versions are terrific, but I don’t think I’ll be able to have this done in time for Christmas if I do that this year. The songs don’t fall neatly into these categories, unfortunately, but I did my best. I often listen to all these songs in a big mess of feelings, but feel free to listen to them separately. 🙂
- “Snow & Bells” – Happy, cheerful holiday music that makes you smile and want to sing along to, these songs have a bright tone that evokes the image of falling snow and jingling bells, going ice skating and sleigh rides. Includes most classic carols.
- “Fireplaces & Cocoa” – Feel that? That’s these songs tugging at your heartstrings, making you tear up. But it feels like sipping a mug of hot cocoa while sitting in front of a fireplace while wrapped in a cozy blanket.
- “Wordless Wonderland” – Wintry, holiday pieces that are a little tricky to sing along to, due to there being no lyrics, but somehow I still manage. These are good if you can’t help singing along but it is not convenient to do so, e.g. at work, etc.
- “First Christmas” – These are the more religious songs. While I am not personally a Christian, I appreciate these songs that celebrate what the first Christmas was originally about. It wouldn’t quite be Christmas without these songs.
- “Christmas is for Children” – This is a collection of songs that are really more geared for kids. I have a lot of fond memories singing these songs with my middle school choir for roaring audiences of elementary school kids. I didn’t want them in playlist #1 because they’re a little TOO chipper. I like them but not the way I like playlist #1, if that makes any sense.
These are NOT complete, but if I don’t publish today, I will NEVER EVER get this out.
SO without further ado, please enjoy.
Snow & Bells
- “Last Christmas”
- “Walking in a Winter Wonderland”
- “It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas”
- “All I Want for Christmas is You”
- “A Holly Jolly Christmas”
- “Home for the Holidays”
- “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year”
- “Little Saint Nick”
- “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)”
- “Jingle Bell Rock”
- “Let It Snow!”
- “Happy Holidays”
- “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree”
- “We Need a Little Christmas”
- “Feliz Navidad”
- “Jingle Bells”
- “Baby It’s Cold Outside”
- “Sleigh Ride”
- “Carol of the Bells”
- “Twelve Days of Christmas”
- “Baby It’s Cold Outside”
- “Wonderful Christmastime”
- “Deck the Halls”
- “We Wish You a Merry Christmas”
Fireplaces & Cocoa
- “I’ll Be Home for Christmas”
- “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas”
- “The Christmas Song”
- “White Christmas”
- “Blue Christmas”
- “Silver Bells”
- “O Christmas Tree”
- “Please Come Home for Christmas”
- “Christmastime is Here”
- “Good King Wenceslas”
- “Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy”
- “Dance of the Toy Trumpets”
- “Waltz of the Flowers”
- “Waltz of the Snowflakes”
- “Pas de Deux (from The Nutcracker)
- “Christmas Eve / Sarajevo”
- “A Mad Russian’s Christmas”
- “Wizards in Winter”
- “Carol of the Bells”
- “Home Alone Theme” (teehee)
- “The First Noël”
- “O Holy Night”
- “Silent Night”
- “Hark! The Herald Angels Sing”
- “Angels We Have Heard On High”
- “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen”
- “Joy to the World”
- “Away in a Manger”
- “Do You Hear What I Hear?”
- “Little Drummer Boy”
- “O Little Town of Bethlehem”
- “It Came Upon a Midnight Clear”
- “We Three Kings”
- “Ding Dong Merrily on High”
Christmas is for Children
- “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer”
- “Frosty the Snowman”
- “Santa Claus is Coming to Town”
- “Jolly Old Saint Nicholas”
- “7 Feet of Snow”
- “Here Comes Santa Claus”
- “Christmas Don’t Be Late (Chipmunk Song)”
Some songs I don’t like. It’s nuts to think about, but I just don’t like listening to them. They’re too cheesy, or too sad, or just ugh. I have purposely excluded them:
- “Happy Christmas (War is Over)” (sorry, John, it just doesn’t quite do it for me)
- “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus” (groan)
- “Grown-Up Christmas List” (ugh)
- “Christmas Shoes” (nooooooo)
- “I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas” (I just learned that this is a song and nope)
- “All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth” (same deal as above)
- “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” (the line “There won’t be snow in Africa this Christmas” ruins the entire song for me)
- “Santa Baby” (I like this one but I don’t know where to put it so….. sorry Eartha)
TELL ME YOUR FAVORITE HOLIDAY SONGS 😀
3 thoughts on “Holiday Music Addict”
You should just make some 8track playlists of these songs, and then we can just play them and see for ourselves. 😛
I was going to, but I was getting WAAAY wrapped up in finding my absolute favorite version of each song and it was taking me forever. So I just pressed publish and will make the 8track/Spotify playlists next year.
Gotta give you something to look forward to next year! XD