I am a karaoke fiend, but even a spotlight-hog like me knows that often, two is better than one.
After all, no matter how good of a singer you may be (and I’m just an okay singer), you can’t really harmonize with yourself (in real time).
So, as I say goodbye to one of my favorite karaoke buddies as he heads off to medical school, I thought I’d round up some of my favorite duets.
Is it weird to sing duets with people I am platonic with?
Eh… sometimes. Especially when a lot of my local duet partners are close friends of my boyfriend’s, primarily because we are more intense about karaoke than my boyfriend is. ^^;
Some duets are more romantic than others, and those can be dangerous.
But saying no to karaoke is difficult enough. Saying no to the rare opportunity of having someone singing the harmonies that I can’t? Nearly impossible to deny.
Sometimes when I’m lonely (slash can’t get anyone to come to do karaoke with me), I’ll record one part and sing duets with myself. I’m not totally crazy for this, am I?
As you can see, this list is all over the place. Contemporary, oldies, musicals… duets are everywhere and I am so glad.
(I can’t find a live performance of this, but this is my favorite version.)
And don’t think I forgot about this one! You know how much I love my holiday music.
Also I may or may not have learned to sing in Korean for this one.
For those of you who can’t/don’t want to load the videos, here’s a list, kind of sorted by how often I get to sing them and/or how much I like singing them (there is a weak correlation between the two, but you’ll have to guess whether a song is up on the top of the list because I like it or my duet partners like it)
- “Lucky” – Jason Mraz & Colbie Caillat
- “My Boo” – Usher & Alicia Keys
- “Endless Love” – Lionel Richie & Diana Ross
- “No Air” – Jordin Sparks ft. Chris Brown
- “Falling Slowly” – Glen Hansard & Markéta Irglová
- “Baby It’s Cold Outside” – Margaret Whiting & Johnny Mercer (not the version I posted)
- “Love is an Open Door” – Kristen Bell & Santino Fontana
- “Phantom of the Opera” – Sarah Brightman & Michael Crawford
- “Say Something” – A Great Big World & Christina Aguilera
- “Two is Better Than One” – Boys Like Girls ft. Taylor Swift
- “Timeless” – Jang Ri In & Xiah Junsu (original by Justin Guarini & Kelly Clarkson)
*Honorable mention: “Love the Way You Lie” – Eminem ft. Rihanna
This is an honorable mention, not because I don’t like singing it but because I usually end up singing both parts alone. People are amused by me getting angry and rapping Eminem’s verses. Who am I to deny them and not make a fool of myself?
Which duets am I missing?
Do you like singing duets?
(Wanna sing one with me?)
Am I crazy for trying to sing them alone in my room
or is this something you’d want to hear?