I’ve been avoiding writing this post.
It’s not just because this year-end posts are time-consuming and I always forget something. If you recall last year’s post, I ended 2013 feeling really proud of myself for having accomplished so much. And I was proud of myself because I had consciously said “yes” to opportunities rather than saying “no”, as I usually do.
Unfortunately, in 2014, I didn’t say “yes” as much as I wanted to.
I won’t sugarcoat it: 2014 was difficult for me. This past summer was especially unkind to me, definitely one of the worst I’ve experienced thus far. Life is full of ups and downs; where 2013 proved to have more ups, 2014 had a not-insignificant number of downs.
As I write this, I am laughing to myself in spite of how painful this past year has been because well, this is almost exactly how I began my 2013 recap post, with a bit of yammering about ups and downs. Man, if only I knew it could get worse! I know now: Next year can always be worse.
But let’s not get bogged down in how much 2014 tested me. After all, I survived it! I live to fight another day. Let’s see what I survived this year:
- Managed to have a little fun with our extreme polar vortex cold weather
- Went to Atlantic City with my boyfriend and friends for Yelp’s Winter Break
- Survived a small car accident (and learned to really fear driving in inclement weather)
- Celebrated Chinese New Year in with my family in China for the first time
- Set off legit fireworks
- Visited Harbin’s Ice & Snow Festival
- Saw a North Korean ice-skating troupe perform
- Achieved a new nosebleed record (and had to have my nose cauterized twice when I came home)
- Set off legit fireworks
- Live-tweeted the 86th Academy Awards out of loneliness
- Participated (sorta) in the March DisneyBound Challenge
- Completed (almost) BEDA (Blog Every Day April)
- Started a new job
- Went on my first bar crawl
- Attended a Wale & Big Sean concert
- Purchased this domain name you are visiting right now
- Made a flower crown
- Took another family vacation on a cruise ship
- Experienced the majesty of America’s last frontier in Alaska
- Went ziplining for the first time
- Visited Vancouver, BC
- Trekked to New York for one of my too-rare solo pilgrimages to my old home city
- Saw The Fray live at the National Zoo
- Visited the National Zoo for the first time!
- Left a new job
- Ate a pork blood + lard cupcake — and liked it
- Attended the first wedding of my own age/friend group (!!!)
- Received my first wedding invitation for my own friend group
- Cooked Thanksgiving dinner on my own
- Got a one-year membership to the National Aquarium
Let me tell you one of my main takeaways from 2014: I do love dressing up. Whether it’s for holidays…
… or for work…
… I’m more than happy to dress for the occasion. I hope that I got more chances to do so, but I’m really finding a lot of enjoyment in coordinating an outfit around a theme, and I’m going to be incorporating that enjoyment into my resolutions for next year.
As always, I’m sure I’ve forgotten something from this past year. (Last year, I forgot that I saw Turquoise Jeep live!) But the important thing is that I survived this year. I can feel a real change in the person I am now versus who I was a year ago. It makes me kind of anxious and nervous about 2015 and what it will bring.
But regardless of how I feel, the sun will set and rise, another day will be there, and another calendar year will be upon us. I have my new planner ready to go, and I’m getting my resolutions post ready. I’m going to take the lessons I learned from 2013 and 2014 and try to make the best of 2015.
Thank you for your support during 2014. My year would have been so different without it.
One thought on “Looking Back on 2014”
Awesome recap!! You did a lot of exciting things this year… I’m jelly!
Can’t wait to get to know you better in the new year! And I’m stoked for our DC adventures! ❤