Last year, I started strong thinking I was going to watch a ton of movies, my best year yet! It was even a resolution of mine, because I was armed with MoviePass and the opportunity to watch movies as a contributor for Punch Drunk Critics.
But then… well… I stumbled pretty hard. When my mental health took a hit, I definitely didn’t go see any movies, especially when MoviePass became harder and harder to use. My PDC reviews dropped off in the summer. (Sorry Travis!)
A couple of things I noticed with this year’s movies:
- It was a big year for superhero movies for me and I didn’t even see all of them.
- No early screenings this year! I just didn’t have the mental bandwidth to wait in line and spend the time this past year, and I was less incentivized once I started paying for movie subscription services.
- Despite the long stretch of time I was in China this year, I didn’t get to go to the movies while I was there,
Without further ado, here are all the 2018 theatrical releases I watched last year:
- Black Panther
- Avengers: Infinity War
- Deadpool 2
- Solo: A Star Wars Story
- Ocean’s 8
- Won’t You Be My Neighbor?
- Incredibles 2
- Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
- Ant-Man and the Wasp
- Sorry to Bother You
- Mission: Impossible — Fallout
- Crazy Rich Asians
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
- Second Act
I considered adding the original Netflix titles I watched to this collage, but I’ve traditionally included theatrical releases; even indie films I watch have a limited commercial release. (But I indulged in a few romantic comedies, you probably know the ones.)
I didn’t do a great job tracking on Letterboxd, partially because it’s a social network where I have no friends and partially because I’m not really sure how to use it still.
What movies did you love last year? I still have to try to see some movies that came out in December, and I’ll have to wait to see other releases because this was a really great year for movies.
What movies are you excited for in 2019? It’s a big MCU year, with Avengers: Endgame being released after Captain Marvel and Spider-Man: Far From Home later in the year. Star Wars: Episode IX comes out late 2019, too. Other titles I’m curious about are Men in Black: International, Detective Pikachu, and Artemis Fowl! I don’t know if I want to see Toy Story 4 because I don’t believe it should have been made but we’ll see!
One thought on “2018 in Film”
2018 was a good year for movies in my opinion. There were plenty of releases for everyone, but especially for those of us who really enjoy the marvel franchise. I’ll admit I was also quite excited for The Crimes of Grindlewald having come around to Fantastic Beasts finally. I enjoyed my stop off at your blog as well, I love it!