Did you hear chain emails are coming back into vogue? I got sent one the other day, but the intent was more wholesome than I remember them being when I was 11. It was a recipe exchange, and here’s the simple but satisfying one I sent as my contribution.
Pizzadilla! (Pizza + Quesadilla)
- 1-2 tortillas
- I usually have some kind of pizza sauce just for this occasion, but you can use anything depending on the kind of pizza flavors you’re going for
- Mozzarella cheese
- Toppings of choice
- Pepperoni and spinach are usually on mine
- Oil (if frying)
- OPTIONAL: Flavor garnishes of choice
- I like red pepper flakes and roasted garlic/garlic powder
- OPTIONAL: Something to dip the whole shebang in
- Can be extra pizza sauce, can be ranch, go wild
These depend a lot on how you prefer to make quesadillas. You can either do two tortillas stacked on each other OR fold over one quesadilla. I like doing the first way, so I’ll be focusing on that method, but you can more easily seal up the second way and I do like doing that for when I want a smaller portion. I’ll put those instructions in (parentheses)
- Spread sauce on both tortillas, leaving a bit of room at the edge
- Sprinkle some cheese on one tortilla
- Add toppings (to half the tortilla, if you are folding)
- Add a little more cheese to keep it all together if you are using 2 tortillas (you should have cheese on the un-topping-ed half if you are folding)
- Sprinkle on any garnishes
- Place your second tortilla on top, pinching shut if you’re concerned about (or fold over the tortilla and pinch the edges shut)
- Heat some oil in a pan/skillet if you are frying your pizzadilla and lay it down when the oil is hot.
- I think you can make this in an oven but I never have because I don’t make this for health.
- Flip when the first side is golden brown and the cheese starts to get melty.
- Remove from the pan once both sides are golden brown and the cheese is all melty
- Cut the pizzadilla if you want (easier to dip this way, if you are dipping) and enjoy. CAREFUL it will be hot.
What’s a simple and comforting recipe you’ve been making lately?
Do you have any pizza-inspired foods you like to make? I won’t get into my whole deal about things not being pizza but I love seeing the different riffs on the ingredients and flavors!